However, even St Francis’s church, due to its size, soon proved to be inadequate to the needs of a Cathedral. After many uncertainties, the bishop Msgr. Pietro Francesco Costa (1587-1624), addressed the problem with a radical decision: the demolition of St. Francis’s church and the construction of the new Duomo in his place. Obviously, this would only fuel the discontent of the Friars and of many citizens of Savona, who were forced to assist in the demolition of a church marked by such a prestigious tradition. So, in 1589, St. Francis’s church was completely demolished and, the 19th of July of that year, bishop Pietro Francesco Costa, with great solemnity, laid the first marble stone for the construction of the new Cathedral. It all happened with great solemnity, in the presence of all the clergy, welcomed in a processional way, the Magistrates of the City, and the people flocked in great numbers. In the foundations of the new building and under the choir, various silver and copper coins, minted in Savona, were placed, with the heraldic symbols of both the City and the Virgin Mary. A chapel dedicated to the Holy Trinity and a hospital were also demolished together with the Franciscan church. The construction work began with a certain enthusiasm but soon, mainly economic, disputes arose between the church and the civic authorities. The effect of these disagreements was that in 1600 the workers entrusted with the construction of the cathedral church, decided to stop the work, because of lack of funding.