In the middle of the right aisle the door for the Franciscan cloister, is located.
Above the door a wooden grandstand is clearly visible, carved and gilded coming from the orchestra of the Church of the Poor Claris in the Palazzo Della Rovere.
From this rostrum, Pope Pius VII, imprisoned in Savona by Napoleon Bonaparte from the 17th of August, 1809 to the 9th of June 1812, and again from February to March of 1814, could attend the celebrations.
The coat of arms of Pius VII above the grandstand has been made by Paolo Gerolamo Brusco.
We are faced with a structure that recalls not only the presence of the Pope prisoner in the heart of the Diocese of Savona, but reminds us the figure in continuous prayer, in total and particularly familiarity with the Mother of Mercy.
Pius VII had a special devotion to the Mother of Mercy; he entrusted the Church to her, and also his sufferings and concerns brought during his difficult period of his pontificate.
Once released, after the final fall of Napoleon, the 10th of May, 1815 Pope Pius VII returned to Savona to crown, as a sign of gratitude, the statue of Our Lady of Mercy who is venerated at the Shrine in Savona Letimbro valley.
It is nice to also remember that it was Pius VII, just returned to Rome from captivity, that established the Feast of Mary Help of Christians (24 May), to give thanks to the woman who helped him to cope with the hardships of the dramatic Napoleonic period.
This post is also available in: Italian